Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Love


My name is Love.

And I’m here to clear some misconceptions about me. I know I haven’t spoken for myself ever before but I think the time has come for me to stand up for myself. You see, people have said my name countless times in their lives without really understanding me.

Let me start by saying, I’m old. I’m over a zillion hundred years old. I was conceived not when Adam bit the apple, but when the Universe was born. I was along with my twin brother Truth. And I have molded myself to be a speck in each and every living organism.. be it plant, animal or human.

So yes I age.

When you were 2 years old, I was there as your mother. When you were 10, I was there as your crush. And through the years I have danced at the parties, I’ve been the one who has gone on those long drives, those holidays with family, and the occasions you remember fondly. Because when you remember me, you will remember me fondly. I was not there when you had those fights, when you hurt yourself and when you were in doubt. My twin brother was.

And through the years you must realize I cannot be the same.

I grow old with you.

Just as you collect that little bit of adipose tissue and that extra grey, so do I. I cannot go dancing anymore to prove myself. I would rather do what you truly want to do. Even if it means doing nothing. I would rather do new things. And you don’t have to worry, I’m not going anywhere.

Yes, I’m not going anywhere. I’m always there for you. Don’t question my faith and don’t go seeking me. I’m there beside you. I’m an energy that is around you, within you, for you. I’m a tiny spec of a molecule and as big as mountain. I’m an aura. I’m light. I’m everything you need… if you believe. I am there with you.

So I’m asking for a favour…. I’m asking you to let me be.

Don’t push and shove me. Don’t drag me out just so your ego can feel happy. Don’t play games using my name and please don’t ask me to turn up or down my age and be something you were ten yeas ago.
If you truly honour me, remember the times fondly and cherish what I give you today. I might not give you exactly what you want, but I’ll look after you today. I don’t know who is in your future. I can’t predict time. All I know is that I will be a part of your life in every birth, in every Universe, in every level. I cannot vouch for anyone else; I can only vouch for myself.

So believe that today will be ok. Because I’m there.

Take my name in the songs that you sing, the art that you make, and the smile on your lips. Take it because you believe it. Take it when there is nothing else left. Say it out loud.

 I am LOVE.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool and loving it. Makes me miss Mumbai_ Sush

Anonymous said...

i totally love you for writing this. I also love yu otherwise ;)B

ridhi said...

absolutely brilliant!! you're too good... cant wait to read what's next... n u're making me itch to go back to scribbling myself.. love u

Haywire said...

Fantastic! :)

Madhuri Banerjee said...

Thanks guys.

Grem Ivana said...

Really good :)

Avi said...

Good one !
I'm adding my bit...not sure how well it augurs!

"I am love. I have many faces, sometimes same faces but with masks. At times, a mask of my arch enemy 'hatred'. O human, you need to know me deeply. Only then will you be able to sustain me for ever...."

Madhuri Banerjee said...

@Avi - was this your original verse? I love it!

Reserved for One: A poem

We don't trust enough We don't pour out our hearts  Telling all our secrets, our fears and surrendering to each other. Comple...